Thursday, March 5, 2015

What Does the Peacock Symbolize?

I recently had a fellow crafter ask me if I (or we here in the states?) use peacocks for the occasion of grieving.  Maybe because of a couple of sentiments I added to this set.  Honestly, when I created this Peacock set for this month's challenge, I wasn't putting too much thought into the symbolism of them, but rather just how God's amazing and beautiful creations are all around us and these in particular seem to radiate a peace and tranquility, which now that I think about it, can be very comforting for someone who is going through a difficult time in their life.

I've never attached a meaning to the peacock such as a religious belief, etc.  However, because a peacock naturally replaces it's feathers annually, it can be a symbol of renewal, much like Easter time brings thoughts of flowers blooming, or baby chicks and other springtime animals symbolize "new birth".  Christians celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ at Easter time, which literally was "New Birth" - and some churches actually use peacock feathers to decorate at Easter time.  (Mine does not, but I've heard some do.)

I'm not into Greek/Roman mythology, but I read somewhere that the peacock is a sign of immortality - because "a peacock's flesh did not decay after death"  and also that "it has the power of resurrection, like a phoenix"  Like I said, I'm not into mythology and don't give it any credence, however, many nativity paintings often included a peacock as a representation of immortality and resurrection.  Some thought of the eyes on the feathers to represent God's omniscience.

So, there ya have it.  I think it can symbolize whatever it is to you.  For me, it's just a beautiful creation of God's, and.... I love birds.  And when I think of birds I am reminded of the verse, Matthew 6:26  "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"  It's comforting to know God will always provide for me [and my family] because the Bible tells me so.  :)

Here's a beautiful card by DT members Barb & Edwina, and if you missed the array of gorgeousness in our original challenge post, take a peek HERE.




See you tomorrow with more inspiration from the Design Team!

1 comment:

KT Fit Kitty said...

Thank you for sharing this. And that scripture you quoted is one of my favourites!